How can I get a certified copy of a Death Certificate?
- You must submit a written request by mail or in person, and pay the required fee at the time of the request. EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2006, A PHOTO ID IS REQUIRED.
How can I get a non-certified copy of a Death Certificate?
- You must submit a written request by mail or in person, and pay the required fee at the time of the request.
How do I know if I need a certified copy?
- Certified copies are generally required for legal purposes, such as transferring title to a motor vehicle, or social security or veteran’s administration paperwork. A certified copy bears the signature and the raised seal of the Clerk and Recorder’s office.
- Non-certified or informational copies are generally used for genealogy purposes or to provide a copy to family members. The non-certified copy will have the work "Information Only" stamped in red ink across the face.
What information must be in the request?
- Name of individual
- Date of Death
- Your relationship to the decedent
- Your Signature and the Date
- the appropriate fee
- the address to which you want the certificate returned
- your daytime telephone number in case we need to reach you
- COPY OF A PHOTO ID WITH SIGNATURE (REQUIRED AS OF OCT. 1, 2006)
What are the fees for a death record?
- Certified Copy - $3.00
- Non-certified copy - $2.00
Where do I mail my request?
- Pondera County Clerk and Recorder
20 Fourth Avenue SW
Conrad MT, 59425
When will I receive my requested certificate?
- Copies of death certificates are sent back via regular postal service mail within 24 hours of receiving the request. If we are unable to furnish the certificate or need clarification of your request, we will call you if you have included your telephone number in the request.
If you need further information, you may call the Clerk and Recorder’s office at (406) 271-4000.