Application for Birth Certificate
If I was not born in Pondera County, where can I get a certified copy of my Birth Certificate?
- Good news! The Clerk and Recorder’s office is now connected to the State of Montana system and we are able to issue paper birth certificates of any birth in Montana. The request procedure is the same as if you were born in our County.
How can I get a certified copy of a Birth Certificate?
- You must submit a written request by mail or in person, and pay the required fee at the time of the request. EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2006: An ID is required
Is there more than one type of certified birth certificates available?
- In Pondera County we are able to issue a certified birth certificate on 81/2x11" paper. It has the signature and raised seal of the Clerk and Recorder.
- THE LAMINATED WALLET CARD CERTIFICATE IS NO LONGER ISSUED AS IT IS NO LONGER ACCEPTED AS A LEGAL COPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
How can I get a non-certified copy of a Birth Certificate?
- You must submit a written request by mail or in person, and pay the required fee at the time of the request.
Can anyone get a copy of a person's birth certificate?
- Only the individual or the legal representative of the individual can get a certified copy of a birth record. A birth record of an individual 30 years or older is considered public record and is available to anyone. The written request for a non-certified copy must also contain all the information required in the written request.
How do I know if I need a certified copy?
- Certified copies are generally required for legal purposes, such as entry into kindergarten. A certified copy bears the signature and the raised seal of the Clerk and Recorder’s office.
- Non-certified or informational copies are generally used for genealogy purposes or to provide a copy to family members. The non-certified copy will have the words "Information Only" stamped in red ink across the face.
What information must be in the request?
- Name of individual (at birth)
- Date of Birth
- Parents names - including the mother’s maiden name
- Your relationship to the child
- Your Signature and the Date
- the appropriate fee
- the address to which you want the certificate returned
- your daytime telephone number in case we need to reach you
- NEW OCTOBER 1, 2006: copy of a photo ID with signature.
What are the fees for a birth record?
- Certified Copy-paper copy $5.00
- Non-certified copy $2.00
Where do I mail my request?
- Pondera County Clerk and Recorder
20 Fourth Avenue SW, Suite 202
Conrad MT, 59425
When will I receive my requested certificate?
- Copies of birth certificates are sent back via regular postal service mail within 24 hours of receiving the request. If we are unable to furnish the certificate or need clarification of your request, we will call you if you have included your telephone number in the request.
If you need further information, you may call the Clerk and Recorder’s office at (406) 271-4000.